Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Comic Reviews: 8/3/2016 Comics


My opinions and reviews on the comics that came out this week. I read a lot more DC than Marvel right now, I'm waiting on Marvel NOW before I really get into Marvel books again so for now most of the Marvel books I'll review are gonna be Civil War II tie-ins, Deadpool comics, and anything else that peaks my interest or something new they release.


DC Comics

Aquaman #4

Aquaman's Rebirth story is so crazy so far, and the conflict feels very natural. This fouth part of the Drowning story did not disappoint. Mera went all crazy jailbreak to get Arthur out of jail, which he shouldn't have been in to begin with. It was nice to finally find out what N.E.M.O.'s goals were and to find out what that wild acronym should for It's pretty much just another group of people who want to rule the world by some crazy means. It was cool to see how badly Aquaman wants there to be piece, even by going so far as sitting in jail and waiting for this stuff to be all sorted out. I guess this is all setting up for the new Rebirth Corssover, I wonder how Aquaman will get out of the jam he's in at the end.

Verdict: 8.5/10

Green Arrow #4

I love the art that Juan Ferreyra does for this book, that more than anything is what keeps e reading it. I mean this comic looks beautifiul! The story is cool though a lot of betrayal, but that's also what makes up Green Arrow stories. It's nice to see Oliver and Diggle working together again, I like the dynamic they bring to the table, it's sad to see Emi go all dark side and evil though. Maybe she can still be redeemed though. I'm excited for the next issue, hopefully it's a big crazy show down (odds are it will be) and it ends with Shado doing the right thing and sacrificing herself for Emi so that she sees how to be a hero.

Verdict: 9/10 (That art is just so beautiful)

Superman #4

I like Action comics right now more than I like Superman, but this is an okay comic. In my opinion the star of this series is going to be his son Jon, he's far more interesting right now than Superman. This story is okay so far, I do't like seeing such a scared Superman but it makes sense for him to be scared as he tries to protect his family. Although he is willingly taking them to these places and putting them in danger...anyways it was dope to see Jon finally "suit up" kind of and help beat the eradicator for the moment. Hopefully this comic will show more Jon and hopefully show him and his dad training in the future. For now, this comic is ok but I like that the story brings back the eradicator and is quickly asking the question of what is Jon and what can he do?

Verdict: 7/10

Justice League #2

This story picked up a little from #1 and from the Rebirth issue. Finally a problem you can see and not just random stiff happening at the same time. I'm happy they decided to bring Superman in on this possibly world ending issue, it's good that they don't just trust him right away though. This apparently other Superman has been hanging around watching the struggle and almost die, I wouldn't trust him either.  The comic continues to have good art and the story is picking up, I wish that they'd add a couple more pages so they could do more with the story lines since everyone is pretty much split up the entire time.

Verdict: 7/10

Harley Quinn #1

Haha okay, this comic was pretty good and I see where all the hype comes from. It's the same team remaking this new series and a great start. I didn't read the first series but I heard good things, I'm a huge fan of Gwenpool and was hoping it would be very similar and I was not disappointed. I also like the new origin story they made for her, it adds to her crazy and does a good job explaining how much Harley was under Joker's control. I wasn't sure if I'd keep reading this series but I think I will. This comic gave me exactly what I was looking for, fun art, silly characters and stories, and the Harley Quinn I wanted to see in comics and other forms of media, I assume that for people who read the other comics this is more of the same greatness that keeps them reading it.

Verdict: 9/10

Green Lanterns #4

Let me be on the record for saying, so far I hate Jessica Cruz, I find it annoying how every comic she's in all she does is complain about not having the right stuff to be a Green Lantern. I've always found that to be an annoying quality, like it's okay for a character to doubt themselves and come out a badass in the end but she does it so repetitively it's annoying. Today looks like the first step for her redemption in my eyes, she finally got over herself and Baz even told her to stop being so annoying. It was cool to see them have a heart to heart and decide to work on being better partners, I imagine the next couple of comics after this story arc will be a montage of them hanging out and getting to know each other. Hopefully this will start a trend of Jessica Cruz not being annoying to me.

Verdict: 7/10

Batman #4

Ehh, this was another okay comic this month. I don't know what it's missing, but I just feel like it's missing something. Crazy twist to have Task Force X and Amanda Waller involved. I mean Hugo Strange was involved and Waller thought she could control him? Smh, do better. Gotham went crazy and has killed 28 soldiers, so he hasn't died yet let everyone thought he would be. We finally see Duke Thomas again, and he's just doing grunt work for Batman, I want to see him do more but it's probably for the best that he's not out in the field yet. All the other Robins had to learn the detective work first before they were in the field, so it makes sense that he is only there for research for now. I can't wait until he gets to go out with Batman and kick some ass though.

Verdict: 7/10 (It's just missing something...)

Suicide Squad: Rebirth

Pretty much just an origin story, but still a good story. I assume the timing of this coming out and the team they picked is heavily influenced by the Suicide Squad movie that's coming out. This is the first Suicide Squad comic I've read and it was pretty cool. The team dynamic was how I thought it'd be and the characters acted the way I would want to see them act. Seeing them in a complete story arc will be cool, anyone on the fence about reading this should read it if any of the characters interest them or if they just want another comic that I think will end up delivering some laughs to the audience. This is another Rebirth book that I wish was bigger for this first Rebirth issue just so they could do more with an origin story. The story made sense, and it was cool to Obama in another comic book.

Verdict: 8/10

Marvel

Daredevil Annual #1

Had high hopes for this book, but I was not a huge fan. The art style was just not doing it for me at all on the first part and both stories just kind of fell flat. It was cool to see Echo in the first story, but that was about it for me. I really don't have much to say about this, maybe other people really liked this but not me. Maybe the art style is a huge appeal because of the artist or that style is famous, just not for me. Daredevil is one of my favorite characters so not super exciting to see such a bad book in my opinion.

Verdict: 4/10

Marvel Tsum Tsum #1

This was kind of cute I guess haha, this comic is based on the toys they make in the same name. This made me laugh at the silliness. The art was fun and fit the tone of the comic, adding to the experiences. The young "heroes" look like they are about to go on the adventure of a life time and it looks like they will have fun along the way. They might even stumble upon some super powers or be able to keep the Tsum Tsum's and help fight crime or something. Either way, this comic was interesting and it'll be cool to see where they go with it and the type of trouble our heroes get into.

Verdict: 8/10

Invincible Iron Man #12

Tony and Riri finally meet! Tony met the young woman who is going to replace him in the near future, and it seems like he likes her. She's kind of goofy and I can't wait for her to become Iron Man (or Iron Woman/Girl...who knows?). The more they try to introduce us to her before she becomes a hero, the better, It's humbling to see Tony admit that things have kind of got out of hand, and he really doesn't know what's next. I mean if you read Civil War II #4 you know what's next, but still! I think Tony is at another weird spot in his life where he can't deal with what's going on all around him and he has to take a step back, figure out his life and come back to it later. It kind of feels like he's building a team around him so they can do that if he does decide to take a step back. I'm not a huge fan of the art, but as I'm reading the comic it doesn't bother me so I guess it's not that big of a deal haha.

Verdict: 7.5/10

Uncanny Inhumans #12

This was kind of crazy, the Inhumans are now fighting against themselves all at Tony Stark's expense. A lot of people don't like what's happening with the Inhumans because its making the X-Men take a backseat to all the action going on, but I find what's happening to be kind of fun and interesting. I like that the Inhumans are getting more attention than the X-Men because the X-Men series has kind of gotten out of control, and these are two major races of people on Earth so in my opinion it's cool if they kind of rotate being on top. They are beefing with Tony and it's gone way too far in my opinion and the fact that it's gone this far and out of Medusa's hands is kind of her fault. She should have handled this all better and not lost her cool, but in taking the safe approach the other Inhumans now find her weak and now she's lost control of them all. It's crazy what all is going on and I feel like it'll only get crazier. I think Carol Danvers will end up going soft on Medusa though so she doesn't lose access to Ulysses.

Verdict: 8/10

Deadpool #16

A mildly funny Deadpool comic. It did make me laugh when they got locked in the safe and during the flashback when Deadpool kept belittling Solo. We finally got a reason for why Solo put on Deadpool's uniform. It was sad at first, but Deadpool quickly turned it all around to make it funny, and Solo had an actually really good story to tell. So are the rest of the Mercs not mad at him anymore? Hopefully they team up and take down these new upcoming threats in a hilarious fashion. Overall a solid comic, why do people keep confusing Deadpool for Spider-Man?

Verdict: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment